LMU Completion Grant
LMU Munich awards completion grants for outstanding doctoral candidates on the verge of finalizing their thesis, who have no other source of funding for the requested period. The stipend amounts to 1,103 Euro per month. The completion grant can be awarded for up to six months, depending on the previous funding of the candidate:
- Doctoral candidates who have already received three years of funding for their doctoral project (this includes employments, stipends, or similar) are eligible only in exceptional cases and only for a maximum of three months. Detailed reasons have to be given, why the dissertation wasn't finished in these three years.
- Doctoral candidates who have received less than three years of funding for their doctoral project, may apply for up to six months.
|Program||Support for outstanding doctoral researchers on the verge of finalizing their thesis. Submission of the dissertation should be envisaged at the end of the funding period. Applications for intermediate funding cannot be considered.|
|Target group||Doctoral candidates with official supervisor at LMU Munich who have no other source of funding for the requested period. Prerequisite is a university degree.|
|Mode of support||Stipend|
|Amount||1,103 Euro per month (no additional funding for family allowance, insurance allowances, any additional travel and material expenses etc.)|
|Income||Any other income over 350 Euro per month ("brutto", pre-taxes) will be fully deducted from the scholarship.|
|Duration||- up to 3 months for doctoral candidates who have already received three years of funding for their doctoral project
- up to 6 months for all other candidates
Funding is only possible until submission of the thesis, but not for the preparation of the defense.
|Application||Only online applications are accepted. Earliest submission is six weeks previous to the application deadline:
Please prepare the following documents (as pdfs):
- CV including information about previous academic achievements (e.g. talks, publications, awards or participation in conferences) and employments
- Copy of university degree certificate
- Letter of motivation including a project outline for the requested funding period and reasons for the application
- Detailed work and time schedule for the remaining time until thesis completion (in tabular form)
To complete your application you will need two academic reference letters.
One letter must be written by your official supervisor. It should contain an assessment of the actual state of your work and the feasibility of the work and time schedule, as well as a statement why the chair/institute/department is not able to fund you.
The second letter must be written by another academic advisor (Professor or "Privatdozent" (academic title "PD")).
Your official supervisor respectively the second academic advisor must send their reference letters directly to the GraduateCenterLMU by regular mail or email in due time.
|Contact||For inquiries concerning the LMU Completion Grant, please write an email to email@example.com, or call 089/2180-9731.|
|Application deadline||Funding period|
|July 15, 2017||October 1, 2017 - April 30, 2018|
|November 15, 2017||February 1, 2018 - August 31, 2018|