Optimizing Writing Strategies in English (Natural Sciences)
GraduateCenterLMU Workshop for Doctoral Candidates
Excellent scientists need excellent data, but they also need to be able to effectively communicate the results and significance of their research to their peers in the community. Writing good papers is hard work, even for many experienced researchers. Being aware of the criteria that papers must meet and using the writing process efficiently can make the task easier. In this workshop, participants will learn about the structural and language norms for research papers published in English. Participants will also be introduced to a variety of strategies that will provide assistance to draft texts more efficiently, to pinpoint their strengths and weaknesses, and to revise them effectively. During the feedback sessions, participants will examine a draft of a text they have written, as well as text drafts submitted by the other participants.
During the workshop, professional input from the trainer will alternate with practical written exercises and discussions of relevant issues. There is an additional writing component with feedback that will take place after the
initial two-day workshop and will be performed online.
- Managing the writing process professionally
- Understanding the drafting and revision processes
- Finding a focus by identifying an appropriate research question
- Creating precise, accurate, and correct sentences
- Understanding structural and language norms for English research papers
- Examining structural relationships within and between sections of a paper
- Giving and receiving feedback on texts
- Examining participants' texts with regard to structure and language, using a variety of feedback strategies
- Recognizing stylistically adequate and inadequate language
Day 3 (virtual)
- Follow-up written assignment and feedback
Requirements: The workshop uses material from participants. There is a call for papers (with guidelines, deadline, etc.) two weeks prior to the workshop.
Language of workshop: English
Date: Tuesday, April 2, 2019, and Wednesday, April 3, 2019, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm, and Thursday, April 4, 2019 (approx. 9:00 am - 5:00 pm, virtual)
Target group: Doctoral candidates of LMU Munich from the Natural Sciences (the number of participants is limited)
Certificate of attendance: Participants will receive a certificate of attendance from the GraduateCenterLMU.
Contact: email@example.com (Tel. 089/2180-9731)
This workshop is fully booked.