Giving Academic Talks in English
GraduateCenterLMU Workshop for Doctoral Candidates
Academic researchers need to present their messages clearly and effectively so that the audience can understand and remember the communicated information. To do this, we will strengthen your presentation techniques with a focus on getting your messages across more effectively. The training will provide you with a framework for developing your own talks and applying rhetorical techniques to create clearer messages.
The workshop is interactive. Participants will have the opportunity to prepare and deliver short presentations as well as to gain practice in dealing with questions. Talks are followed by constructive feedback from a native-speaker trainer as well as from other participants.
- Ensuring a clear structure to help convey messages
- Creating a strong opening and conclusion
- Developing rapport with your audience
- Emphasizing key information
- Applying rhetorical techniques to ensure clearer messages
- Dealing with questions competently
- Participants should have at least a strong intermediate level of English (B2) with the ability to take part actively in discussions.
- Please prepare a talk on your research. Your talk may be no longer than 8 minutes. Do keep in mind that most of your audience will be non-experts. To ensure that your talk is as authentic as possible, please give your talk in the format which is typical of your field (e.g. powerpoint, flipchart, etc.).
Language of workshop: English
Date: Thursday, March 8, 2018, and Friday, March 9, 2018, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Target group: Doctoral candidates of LMU Munich (the number of participants is limited)
Certificate of attendance: Participants will receive a certificate of attendance from the GraduateCenterLMU.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (Tel. 089/2180-9732)
This workshop is fully booked.